7.13.2005

The voyages of the starship Discovery...

Ok, so I admit I've been crossing my fingers, hoping that the launch of the Space Shuttle would get delayed at least a day, so I could see the launch when I was in Florida. The original launch time was today, just over an hour ago, and I'm not going to be able to be in Titusville to see the launch until at least like 5 or 6 o'clock tomorrow. As launch time approached, things kept sounding better and better (for me).

First they said the hurricanes didn't affect anything and there was a 70% chance they'd launch on time. Looming clouds changed their prediction to 60%, but they were still confident they'd launch on time. Then a protective window covering fell off and damaged two tiles of the heat shield, which could have posed a problem, but they fixed it pretty quick. Now, a faulty fuel gauge has grounded the mission until at least Monday*, when I'll be less than an hour west of the launch pad.

I kind of feel bad that I was hoping it would get delayed, and now it actually is... The shuttles get delayed all the time just before launch, so this actually isn't out of the ordinary. I was actually fairly sure it would get delayed, because many launches do, and this one is particularly important that there aren't any problems. Well, I get to see the shuttle launch for the first time since I woke up to see pieces of Columbia re-enter the atmosphere. Yay for me.

*Scott saw something on the news that said the shuttle is going to launch Saturday right as I was reading an article about the launch being delayed until Monday. Whichever, I just hope it isn't delayed any more than Monday.

No comments: