4.21.2005

That Certain Shade of Green

What's this? Real news commentary? Well, I've been saying it for years, and moreso since I started driving as a job. Traffic lights are programmed to stop as many cars as possible.
Backed up at a traffic light? Frustrated when you hit a red light only a block after driving through a green? Odds are, those traffic signals may need some work.

...

A new survey being released Wednesday says the nation's traffic signal operations are largely inefficient,

Well, I guess they're not programmed that way, but they really need some work. The strange thing is that as I recall, downtown Rochester used to be decent, except for Civic Center Drive, which has been screwed up since they built it. However, since they did a bunch of construction on Broadway several years ago, just about all the traffic lights downtown have been fucked. This is really when I noticed. Specifically, the light at 16th street and south Broadway, used to let cars go very shortly after they stopped, until one night I sat through a whole cycle in the turn lane and realized that something got screwed up in it. And don't get me started on the lights at the 19th street bridge over 52, but those are temporary because of construction. ::mumbles something profane about Roc-52::

First the ridiculously low speed limits, and their potential increase on the horizon, and now a group of engineers announcing that I was also right about crappy traffic lights. What driving gripe of mine will be proven valid next?

No comments: